Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What's in a name

I get a lot of compliments on their names.  Yesterday, when I was volunteering at lunch duty, Kristin Sleeth told me she always remembers Natalie is my daughter, because she loves her name but couldn't use with her own last name for her kid.  She asked what my Kindergartener's name is, Charlotte, and responds, oh that is a beautiful name too.
If I have any regrets about your names, it is not including mine somehow.  Natalie called Charlotte, "Baby Coco" mostly in utero but also called her Baby Hannah.  Lance suggested Hannah Marie on the morning of the day Charlotte was born.  My OB liked Anna, said Hannah is overused.  I liked Charlotte all along.  Strong, solid, classic, like Natalie.  And Elizabeth, such a classic beauty of a name.  I won't ever be insulted if they choose to go by their middle names.
We were thinking Grace for Natalie.  My second cousin had a baby Grace in August of the same year.  He happens to be named John which was a duplicate family name for my uncle, his cousin John so choosing Grace would not be an unprecidented move.  Plus, they live in Oregon and I have seen them maybe once or twice in the last ten years.  But, we wanted an original.  When she was born, we thougth Kirstin and actually called her that for several hours.  I called people and told them we weren't totally decided on the name but she is here, 3 weeks early and we are in love.  By mid moring on 9-10-02, we had decided on Natalie Grace.  One of the night nurses came in and told me Natalie Grace is so beautiful, it gave her shivers.  Uncle Todd said she was probably bopping from room to room saying that to everyone, Jane Smith...so beautiful it gives me shivers!
Natalie Grace and Charlotte Elizabeth, my beautiful little souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment